The Community of Brooks was present in spirit long before the first buildings were built on the original townsite in 1904. Traditionally, as with many other towns, Brooks' commencement was largely due to the coming of railroad. Located along the Soo Line it rose rapidly and by the time the main business section of town burned on the main street in May of 1918 it had become a prosperous little farming community consisting of two general stores handling merchandise,
a grocery store, a bank, hardware store, butcher shop, a blacksmith shop, a livery barn, lumber yard, two saloons, a community hall and a good size hotel, to accommodate travelers and salesmen.
In 1926 the Brooks Cheese factory was started by the Aurelius J. Parenteau family. It has remained the major industry of Brooks through out the years and is still widely recognized today.
Serving area farmers' and residents' needs throughout the first half century the Village of Brooks was governed by the Poplar River Township board, In 1995 the village was incorporated. Instrumental in its incorporation were Aurel J. Parenteau and Ronald J. Paradis who had to conduct a complete census of the Village and map out the area to establish city limits. Appointed at that time by the county auditor, Mr. Parenteau and Mr. Paradis served as the first
official officers of the Village taking charge of scheduling elections first on the issue of incorporation and secondly on the election of officers.
Mr. Aurelius J. Parenteau served as the first Mayor. He has since been succeeded by Mr. David Perreault, Mr. Emery LaCoursiere (who won by the flip of a coin because of a tie vote), Mr. Aurel J. Parenteau, Mr. Wallace Chapmagne, and Mr. Ronald J. Paradis throughout the 21 year history since its incorporation.